Telia Sonera - Sweden
In order to meet customers' expectations in terms of reduced environmental impacts, Telia Sonera Sweden ran several modernization programs focused on reducing energy consumption and costs related to facility rent.
The company invested SEK 20 million in green cooling solutions in 2014 and 2015, and planed to invest an additional SEK 50 million when expanding the scope to additional sites. Total savings were estimated around SEK 40 million for 2014 and 2015. The programs were also expected to lower annual costs by SEK 20 to 25 million until 2018. In addition, old technology and systems, used by few people, were replaced by more energy efficient platforms. Finally, core technical sites were or are being energy optimised; and numerous rural technical sites expected to be closed.
The cooling investment programs include:
- The replacement of compressor-based cooling with free air and geo-cooling solutions, along with the redesign of data centers
- The dismantle of legacy equipment: in 2015, such cleanouts generated over 200 tons of mainly electronic waste
- The utilization of contractors in the programs, by taking advantage of the potential available time of contractors working at a site and having completed the ordered work. The contractors are asked to identify and switch off equipment no longer in use, thus saving time and money for both TeliaSonera and the contractor
Telia Sonera aims at improving the environmental impact throughout the value chain, by minimizing negative while maximizing positive impacts.
Specific goals were defined for 2018:
- Certification ISO 14001 for all major operations in region Europe
- Establishment of buy-back programs for mobile devices in region Europe
- 10% lower energy consumption and 33% lower CO2 emissions per subscription equivalent